View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

JunAhrkSonaak,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

We've had others who hurt themselves with self-injury. I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem.

What kind of diagnosis would you be referring to ?
What would you hope to do with any diagnosis ?

Brain injury is basically a treat the symptom condition. The only diagnosis that may help you would be a neuro psychological assessment. That would quantify your mental abilities, the myriad of different memory functions, executive functions, motor function, processing speed, etc. With that information, one can develop coping skills and learn work-arounds to limitations.

Your spelling difficulty can be cognitive or motor function. I often do the same eeror, error. I depend on spell check software and have even used grammar checking software.

btw, A pencil is a utensil. LOL. Been there, done that. A speech therapist may be able to help you learn word skills. I have learned I need to slow my communication. The more I push, the more the mords get wixed up.

In fact, it can be helpful to learn some jokes about the struggle:

My tongue got wrapped around my eye teeth and I couldn't see what I was saying.
I just washed my tongue and can't do a thing with it.
I'm drain bamaged.
I get my mords wixed up.

I could go on....if my failing memory limits that.

When people ask about my worst struggle, my response is "I forget."

The chemicals released with lighthearted comments can often help the brain reset.

Impulse control is tougher. One needs to learn to recognize a triggering situation developing and avoid letting it develop. It might mean you have to stop and walk away.

I carry a slip of paper in my wallet that explains my struggle with over-responding to people shouting at me and barking order and asks for help.

Please feel free to tell us about any of your struggles. We have heard them all.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote