View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 10:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Oh our feet!

I started my adult life as a size 9.5 AA, at age 16. Which in the 1960's was humongous and definitely not in the 'Cinderella' category. But I feel like I've been Alice in Wonderland, waving good bye to my feet (but no magic mushrooms, alas).

After two babies and when I was in my late 20's, my feet became a size 10. Which was stable for 35-40 years. I can't remember. Size 10 N was actually easier to find than 9.5 AA, anyway.

Then at about age 68 my feet were hurting, especially my left big toe (my left foot is largest, I'm left handed). I saw a podiatrist and suddenly I was a size 11B, which required purchase of all new shoes!

But by this time stores were stocking size 11, tho' I did a lot of on line buying. So I had a nice new shoe wardrobe.

Now I am 75 and have severe PN and osteoarthritis. And my feet are now size 12! Another new shoe wardrobe, but this time with PN.

I have to buy all of my shoes on-line, and they must accommodate my braces which have a whole-foot plate which fits below the insole.

I even have some size 12 boots which work, but it is too exhausting to 1) put the braces inside the boots, and then 2) put on the boots with the braces in place.

Just getting dressed with the braces in my 'Mary Jane' type shoes is stressful enough.

I also feel as if my feet are some how dissolving or becoming more shapeless, probably the result of the PN/walking with the braces? I can still 'feel' the bottoms of my feet, tho' they always feel as if they are coated with dried mud, when I flex them.

Even with 3600 MG of Gabapentin they tingle and burn. But I try to ignore all that.

I've had PT for my walking with PN, and then for walking with the braces. I like PT, but I really haven't improved much in my walking, and my back is weak and the lower back muscles hurt when I walk or stand for even a few minutes.

I try to exercise to improve, but something always comes up (back surgery was required last year, which put me out of commission for three months before the surgery and two months afterwards) so I feel like I take 'one step forward and two back" most of the time!

I have orthotics, tho' I don't use mine now. I would think that if orthotics cause pain and stress then there is something wrong with how they fit.

I think you should ask to have new orthotics in this case.

Regards, ElaineD

Last edited by ElaineD; 07-20-2017 at 05:02 PM.
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pixel22 (07-20-2017)