View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Thanks for writing back to me everyone!

What I did not mention is that I have tinnitus too. I think it more than likely caused by that acoustic trauma. But it took time for it to fully develop. So I didn't even register at first that I had tinnitus. But I had noticed a static type of noise in quite places. It was very faint and I did not think of it much. Then the tinnitus changed character and it is now tonal. I had also been feeling fatigued and I had a few anxiety attacks for no apparent reason, but always at night. When it was otherwise quite I suppose.

I am still coming to terms with my tinnitus. Thankfully it is not very loud. I do however get loud fleeting tinnitus sometimes. Not so often lately, and I think I may have started to habituate to it. I get scared when I get loud fleeting tinnitus and I unvoluntarely pull my head in as if being startled. It's like a flashback from the trauma!

These ear clicks are more than likely associated with the trauma. Somehow the reflex is activated even when there is no danger. It is somehow more easily activated now. It's been several months now, and it's not getting a lot better.

It's not palatal myoclonus, and it's not eustachian tube dysfunction. It's most likely middle ear myoclonus, caused by either one of the two muscles in the middle ear. My ears don't feel full, and I had the acoustic reflex test done and the pressure is normal in both ears. The dentist said I have a nice, normal bite. My left temporomandibular joint seems to be a bit uneaven, likely made worse by a wisdom tooth in the upper jaw which I removed a bit late.

I normally lay on my back when I go to sleep. While still awake I can hear the click when I swollow. I swollow... 1, 2, 3, ... 7, click! About 7 seconds after I swollow I hear a click! Sometimes I hear it simultaneously as I swollow. Sometimes it clicks without swollowing.

So you can imagine that is very diffuclt to fall asleep. And when I do, I suspect this is waking me up, preventing me from falling deep into sleep and getting the rest I need.

Will these clicks never stop? The thought of getting the muscles cut seems barbaric to me. Why are we still doing that in 21 century medicine? It seems that there are not that many ENT surgeons that will comply to do this. But I can't even get any pills for it from my ENT doctor. He just keeps telling me that it will get better and to give it time.

Tinnitus cannot be cured, but neither can middle ear muscle myoclonus. If that's what it is... It would seem more tangable, if we know what it is and where it is.

Taurine, magnesium, vitamins, anti-seizure meds... I will look into these more. Is magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate equally safe for the body? How much should I take?

What is nerve/brain nutrition?
Click is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote