Thread: Wisdom?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Wisdom?

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found this site.

I've had PCS for about 5 months now. I had a severe headache, nausea, and sensitivity to lights after a day of seemingly harmless tobogganing. Symptoms subsided over the first few weeks before flaring up again after ignoring them. About 45 days ago I got elbowed hard in the face as well. Persisting symptoms have been difficulty concentrating, head pain, sensitivity to light and noise, fatigue, losing my train of thought, getting easily stressed by interpersonal discord, and sensitivity to bumps. I've been taking it easy and appreciating a simpler life but I do get despairing and frustrated at times. I am lucky to have a good support system and flexible work.

These days, I need to rest every half hour when working, reading, or looking at screens. My productivity is down about 50% less as I am slower. I also socialize much less as my increased sensitivity to people tires me. And I no longer ride in cars.

It's this last sensitivity that I'm concerned about as I had planned to fly to Japan in less than a month for an academic conference, and then travel to China and Malaysia for fun. I don't need to take this trip and wonder if it would not be wiser to simply stay in my first-world city with all its healing amenities. While I do want to go to these places, my health is more important. Since I cannot even take short car rides without the bumps feeling like I'm being punched and my head hurting, I'm concerned for the long-term effects of flying trans-pacific.

People on the forum seem to have varying responses from flying, from no problem at all to it significantly worsening their symptoms, even engendering new ones. I do not want to be one of the latter.

So my question is, would a potentially bumpy and highly stimulating trip jeopardize my healing in any kind of long-term way, or at most it would just prolong my recovery slightly?

Thanks so much,
Henry
twohandles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote