View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Currently, I have a daily practice of meditating in the morning for 20 minutes. I mix it up. Sometimes I sit quietly, focus on my breath, and recognize when thoughts pop up, I visualize them in ballons that are floating upwards and out of my "screen". When i get distracted, its okay, its part of the excercise, I just go back to my breath. There's some mornings where I cant quite focus well enough, so i listen to guided mediations from youtube or from the 10% Happier app.

During the day, when I notice my anxiety building up, I direct my attention to my breath... regardless of what i am in the process of doing. I often resort to box breathing for a few minutes. If my anxiety is real bad, then i try to focus on where the physical pain is. For me, its usually in my neck, back and chest. I simply just focus on the pain. It always dissipates when I do this. The problem is just remembering to do it.

Box breathing is breathing in for 4 seconds, holding for 4 seconds, exhaling for 4 seconds, holding for 4 seconds/repeat.

I would recommend that a beginner at mindfulness practice pick up a book from the library or off amazon. Grab any book with an 8-week program. This is the easiest way to learn. The beginner programs are mostly all 8-week programs. This is because it is well accepted in the scientific community that 8 weeks of meditating for 10 minutes per day has been proven to regenerate parts of the brain.

I learned using this book which can be bought used for $1.

Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World: Mark Williams, Danny Penman, Jon Kabat-Zinn Ph.D.: 861431812: Amazon.com: Books
Hains is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote