View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
It sounds like you are trying to micromanage symptoms and track micro symptoms. This is not good.
That's a good point I suppose, what severity on a scale of 1 to 10 do you consider significant when it comes to symptom severity?

Quote:
This is an issue of filtering. The PCS brain often loses much of its ability to filer out background sensations, auditory, visual, and tactile. Those of us with experience with PCS use ear plugs or other ways to reduce background stimulation. I have had this lack of auditory filtering at a permanent level for almost 20 years.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I guess you've gotten this question a lot over the years, but what caused your PCS?

Quote:
You need to be disciplined to get up early and at the same time. Then, start shutting down your thought load and other stimulation a hour or two before bed.
I'm not sure if this would work for me, I know I'm susceptible to staying up late if I feel restless. I'll give my current routine a go for a week or two and if I still don't feel like I'm getting quality sleep I'll shift to getting up at the same time each day.

Quote:
There are plenty of vestibular therapists, PT's are the most common. You don't need a doctor. Getting assessed will help you determine if it is vertigo or one of the many different sensations.
Alright. I have been assessed by a PT who specializes in rehabilitation on whiplash injuries but he seemed to think that my neck was very relaxed, considering my condition. He seemed to be of the opinion that once you're in the process of actually healing, your neck gets stiff. I don't need anybody else to tell me how ridicculous that sounds, but I suppose it begs to question if I'm an exception, having a relaxed neck after all this.

Quote:
I think you course work in psychology may be working against yourself. You may be too prone to self-assessment. It is like watching TV medical shows. Everybody is suddenly complaining about the malady mentioned on the show. Dr OZ is one of the worst. Many of the minor PCS symptoms are just part of life. We don't even notice them until we put a PCS name on them. Studies show that those who do best have accepted their PCS symptoms as part of life and just move on.
You mean how I notice the anxiety? I suppose you have a point. However, I think it has to do more with my personality: I have a hard time settling with a situation when I feel like I could improve it. This has lead me to the not-always-so-healthy mindset of feeling that resting in order to get better is a matter of performance. I am yanking on this position with the calm that comes from my meditation practice, but if the symptoms persist for longer than 5 months I will have to rethink my attitude. That's when the term starts again.
smutsik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote