View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 08:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recovery can take longer than six months

My recovery proceeded gradually and really took about 3-4 years. I felt somewhat better after 14-16 months. Quite a bit better after 18-24 months. A lot better after 30-36 months. Probably some more incremental improvement during the year or so after that. I still feel I am making progress, in a way -- not by gaining more brainpower, but by using my existing brainpower more intelligently.

Eventually I got back to about 90 or 95% of my pre-concussion state (in my subjective estimation). I feel really lucky, as I now have a high quality of life with meaningful work, a loving family, etc. But I do a lot of little things to make sure I stay on track (getting enough rest, good nutrition, avoiding impact sports/activities, managing stress, living at a slower pace generally and in brain-healthy ways as much as possible, etc). And, as mentioned, I have a very supportive partner and family.

My advice would be to focus on living day-to-day in a way that best supports your recovery, and not think too much about timelines (hard, I know).
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote