View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 03:19 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I don't deliberately exercise, per se, but have made every attempt to get back to my pre-concussive activities. I don't know that I will end up losing any weight from it, however. I almost feel like the switch that told me to quit eating got derailed.

I remember thinking the first summer after my concussion that all hope was lost on my yardwork. Prior to my accident, I could work 6-8 hours with short breaks for food and bathroom. When I started out after the accident, I was lucky to get 15 minutes done before I was all done for the day!

It took a good 1 1/2 years after my accident to start to re-build some stamina. Last year I set a goal to re-plant my front flower bed. It took a month and a half, but I got it done.

At 2 1/2 years, I am still having to take lots of breaks, especially if it's hot out, but I can usually work for a couple hours at a time now, hauling brush, weeding, whatever is needed.

I now enjoy a weekly yoga class. I can walk my dog every day for at least 1 mile, more if I have time. I can do more heavy work again, as long as I don't try to push it to former levels. I sometimes go kayaking with a friend.

If I'm having a bad head day (week - month?), I scale back as much as I need to for how fatigued I am, and just give my body and brain a break.

I guess where I'm going with all this is that whatever it is you want to accomplish, you will get back there. But you have to be willing to take very small steps, and not get discouraged by the slow progress. Because it will be slow. You won't believe how that little amount of effort has tired you out and zapped your ability to do anything else. But if you can start, and just give your body time to adjust to that extra minute here and extra minute there, it will improve.
Karenthek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (08-03-2017)