Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jamm,

Thanks for the xray.

Here's what I see on the xray..

1) A root canaled pre molar with radio graphic pathology. Did that tooth have an apicoectomy? It looks like it may have due to the blunting of the root tip..... OR the gutta percha perforated the apex. Either way, there is a cyst at the apex.

2) There is a moderate size piece of mercury lodged in the extraction site. This was likely the mercury blob that was placed at the apex of that extracted molar when the apico was done. Ideally the oral surgeon should have removed that mercury when he extracted the tooth. Really there is no excuse for leaving it there.

3) There are other small fragments of mercury scattered about which would be difficult to remove as they become embedded in the tissue.

4) There is a moderate area above the mercury blob that is suspicious. May be an infection and that may be where the sinus is involved.

5) Not sure of the health of the last molar. That tooth needs another xray taken at a bisecting angle.

6) All of these problems are likely apparent on the 3D scan.

You have a long history of dental infection in that quadrant of your mouth because root canal therapy and apicoectomies do not cure an infected tooth. The dentin tubules will remain infected with trapped nerve tissue irrelevant of how perfect either of those procedures are done.

This is not going to settle down on it's own because .....

1) There is a blob of toxic mercury stuck in the surgical site that will prevent healing.
2) There is pathology and infection with the pre molar as well as in the surgical site of the extracted molar.

The oral surgeon should have informed you of the problems with the pre molar and he should have been MUCH more thorough with the extraction and debridement of the molar. The problems you have are not going to heal in time. They require intervention.

Medicating you to kill the pain, is only a band aid at the very least.
I am really sorry your dentist has not informed you of these things. Your choices are to go back to the oral surgeon that botched up the molar extraction or see a different one and explain you want a thorough debridement of the surgical socket.

I know this is depressing news...... but I hope it is helpful to you.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMM View Post
BRYANNA - I really need your professional advice. I have suffered with facial pain and eye pain for over 20 years on my left side prior to a root canal and afterwards. The tooth then had an apicoectomy about 18 years ago which left me with constant sinus pressure.
Two years ago the tooth then had another root canal by a very experienced Endodontists after a small infection showed at my six monthly check up. This made everything worse I kept returning complaining of pain but was told to leave the tooth to settle down I was put on amitriptyline and pregabalin by the dental school until eventually a fistula formed. (this story is the short version)
Two years after root canal and an Xray at the dental hospital which showed infection the tooth was removed. I payed privately for a very experienced oral surgeon which was 8 weeks ago. I am in worse pain now then before and again I was told to let it settle down. It hasn't. The oral surgeon has referred me to a neurologist for pain medication. However I took it upon myself to seek another opinion of an oral surgeon, he did another X-ray, which I have attached (there is a small piece of amalgam in the socket from the apicoectomy) and also a 3D scan which showed a very small sinus communication which he said should heal on its own as there is no nasal discharge. His advice was to leave alone and see if the area heals or to go back in and clean the socket. Please advice Bryanna. this is completely ruining my life being in constant pain.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote