View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Smile Good News With DRG Stim Trial

It has been a while since I have posted anything but with good things happening in the past week, I decided that it was a good time to make a positive post.

Last week, I made the decision to go ahead and see if a dorsal root ganglion, (DRG) stimulator would work for me or not. In case you are not familiar with what a DRG stimulator is, it is very similar to a spinal cord stimulator except instead of the leads being placed over the spine, the leads are placed over the nerve bundle going into spine that feed the leg known as the dorsal root ganglion. About a year ago, I went in for an SCS only to be disappointed by it causing more pain than before I had it done. So why would I choose to try the DRG stim after complications from the SCS? I chose to go ahead because it is actually FDA approved for lower limb CRPS, so I figured maybe it could help instead of hurt this time.

I had the temporary device put in place this past Tuesday at the Cleveland Clinic and made the six hour car ride back home the same day. The ride home was rather uncomfortable on my back from the implant but my foot felt great. I just wanted to get back to the comforts of home.

Between yesterday and today, I have been trying to find out what I am able to do that I was not able to do just a few days ago. It is amazing how doing simple little things that others do all the time, like wearing a sock, or putting my foot flat on the floor to feel the soft fuzzy carpet under my foot are so easily taken for granted. Neither of these things I have been able to do for over two years. I was told to push myself and do some of these things that I normally cannot do, so today I pushed a little further and started taking a few steps around the house. I still cannot walk. I did not expect to be able to, but at least I can make the motions and place a small amount of weight on my foot. I am in a little pain still, it did not go away completely, but it is still only two days after having the implant. I know I don’t have the 90% or better reduction in pain that they want me to have, but so far, I am very happy with the results.

Alaina
PurpleFoot721 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (08-12-2017), birchlake (08-23-2017), ger715 (08-11-2017), Littlepaw (08-13-2017), mrsD (08-10-2017), RSD ME (08-13-2017), St George 2013 (08-11-2017)