Thread: C5 Palsy
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Week 94 ( 1 year & 9 months) - I will say that some recovery is possible after 1 year. After more research and talking to rehab doctors, it appears that 90% of recovery happens in the first year and 10% happens in the following 2 years (3 years total).

I have continued to see some progress in muscle strength after 1 year. I have full range of motion in both arms (right side is still tight when raised out to the side). Strength is about 80% in left arm and 50% in right arm. Some of the muscle strength improvement is purely from building up the muscle tissue and has nothing to do with more nerve growth, but it is still improvement. My right posterior deltoid has been very stubborn and not getting much strength back. I was told that not all muscles will recover the same and some muscles may never come back. The nerve branch to the posterior deltoid must have not made it back.

Unfortunately, I still have not seen any real improvement in the pain. I have switched over to Lyrica and taking the max daily dose (200mg three times per day). This just makes the pain tolerable. My doctor still cannot say whether or not this will ever go away. I still don't know which is worse, the pain or the weakness....

I am holding on to the idea that more improvement is possible and the fight is not over just yet...
Jastek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote