View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 03:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
at least I got dog food but then when I looked at my poor beast I felt even he deserved a better life. He has not had a walk in the woods or a park in a long time and if I do get out for a stumble about my block, the last thing I need is him pulling me along and challenging my balance.
Your puppy will understand. Dogs are fantastic creatures incapable of holding grudges. As long as he/she is with you, it's all OK. Talk to hem/her. Explain in detail what you are going through. Dogs may not understand words, but they understand a lot more than we give them credit for. Tell the dog about the pain, about currently not being able to go romping, but that as soon as it's an option again, you will make up for it. Also, do you have a dog walk service near you? We used that when we both didn't have the time because of work during the week.

The only things dogs need and crave are food and love/attention, and not necessarily in that order.

PJ, holy *****! Yeah, you can be 100% sure the cessation is what caused the seizure, that's what Xanax does. The comparison to heroine fails when it comes to withdrawal: you don't die from heroine cold turkey. You will feel horrible(not personal experience for once), but you will not die. With benzos you might, and especially with Xanax.

I had a long talk with my GP after rehab. They kinda know the risk, but not really. I did open her eyes, based on what I learned in rehab, and some research. I can only hope they will be more careful with allowing prolonged use.

Irony: one of the best ways to prevent the seizures from both alcohol and benzos is... a high dose of benzos. The doctors/nurses in rehab really did a great job there. Based on your drug of choice and your intake, they calculate a regimen. In my case it was 90mg of Tranxene (Clorazepate) the first day, then 60 mg the next day, 40, 20, and then 0 after that. This way they prevent getting hooked on it, but they also prevent seizures. The drug is specifically known for use in withdrawal.

Quote:
Dosages as high as 90 to 120 mg per day may be used in the treatment of acute alcohol withdrawal.
PS: in case anyone thinks about it: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. They monitored me throughout the days and even nights, took my vitals every 2 hours, logged those, compared them with what they should expect, etc. It felt very safe, and it was one of the big benefits of going to a rehab with real docs, nurses, and psychs.

I did walk around like a zombie those first days. But no lasting damage. The rebound anxiety was horrible though.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-22-2017), kiwi33 (08-23-2017), PamelaJune (08-21-2017), SecondChances (08-21-2017)