View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I haven't visited for awhile so I had a lot to get caught up on! It is true this is a great site to come to for support. No one judges. We've all had our own demons and we are all human. I just wish I was more of a positive person so I could provide more uplifting words here - I was born to a father who basically all my life, told me I wouldn't be worth a crap, and my mother never really corrected him (I imagine she was too scared to do so) - but those feelings of worthlessness don't ever really go away.

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in about opioids. I've had a few surgeries in my life (not related to my alcohol or any substance abuse). The first one, as an outpatient, I was prescribed Vicodin. I wasn't planning on taking it at all, because of the infamous Brett Favre (American football player) addiction. Well, nighttime after the surgery came, and I was IN PAIN. I took the recommended dose and it did...NOTHING for me. I took another pill...NOTHING. I threw them away and took Ibuprofen. It was a long time ago, but I imagine I probably self-medicated with beer.

My next surgery was fairly major, and it occurred just when opioids were becoming a really scary addictive drug. My surgeon prescribed OxyContin. Again, I was VERY wary about taking it, but they basically made me take a dose before I left the hospital, and sent a month's worth home with me, along with 2 more refill opportunities. Guess what? It did: NOTHING for me. So I didn't take any more.

Strange, I know. Maybe because my mind was so fearful of adapting an addiction? I just thought I'd provide a different perspective. How can alcohol be so gripping and opioids do not a dang thing for me? After the posts I have read here, and the stories I hear day in and day out about the opioid crisis we have in America, I think I'll consider myself VERY fortunate.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-22-2017), PamelaJune (08-23-2017), SecondChances (08-23-2017)