View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 01:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's ok if they prescribe them for a very short term, unfortunately a lot of GP's just continue to script issue when the patient runs up every 2 or so weeks. Then suddenly it's in the news and the GP says nope, no more, and they fail to offer anything to help the person titrate down, they frequently will make the patient go cold turkey because they just don't know enough about dependence forming drugs. All they know of is addiction and how they can be penalised or struck off of the registrar for over prescribing, sadly their need to cover their own *** provides little assistance to the patient.

I'm so sorry your friends son turned to Heroin, it's an all too common story. But Heroin where I am is fast becoming a drug of the ages. Meth has taken over everything and is significantly cheaper. My nieces first partner and father to her first child is/was a heroin addict. He has been to rehab many times. I'm lead to believe he is straight at present, but it's a fluid change on any given month. Drug users are not just the poor or middle class, this boy comes from a very well to do, affluent & influential family. Drug addiction doesn't differentiate, it will take anyone sadly.

Im so sorry for your friends loss. It saddens me greatly when I learn of incidents where people have turned to illicit drugs following genuine GP prescription need. I truly believe there needs to be more education and accountability with GP's.

Because of my job I go to many GP surgeries and I see the current answer to this problem in my city in many, many surgeries is signage "we won't prescribe this drug so don't bother asking. Go elsewhere else". I wonder of the patients who truly do need it what they are offered instead. Perhaps Panamax as the ED doctor stated repeatedly when she discharged me on July 7th & then there we were less than 3 weeks later knowing major surgery is instead required and offers the only fix, and then at significant risk. Panamax / equivalent to Tylenol, I wonder why I didn't think to take it before the ambualance was called ...lmao (if only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
I know a woman who just lost her son to heroin. It all started about 8 years ago when he was prescribed opiods after his car crash. He was only 28.

Last edited by PamelaJune; 08-23-2017 at 04:54 AM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-24-2017), SecondChances (08-23-2017)