View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 01:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Parents have a way of unwittingly or sometimes willingly sucking the life from us. You are your own person now, and what you write of on here shows positivity for many. Not everyone will succumb to addiction to opioids. For some reason the opioid crisis in the US seems to have eclipsed and masked the legal alcohol service and problem it too is causing. Thank you for contributing, everything on these NT threads I believe adds value to someone's journey at sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGetFeelingBack View Post
I haven't visited for awhile so I had a lot to get caught up on! It is true this is a great site to come to for support. No one judges. We've all had our own demons and we are all human. I just wish I was more of a positive person so I could provide more uplifting words here - I was born to a father who basically all my life, told me I wouldn't be worth a crap, and my mother never really corrected him (I imagine she was too scared to do so) - but those feelings of worthlessness don't ever really go away.

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in about opioids. I've had a few surgeries in my life (not related to my alcohol or any substance abuse). The first one, as an outpatient, I was prescribed Vicodin. I wasn't planning on taking it at all, because of the infamous Brett Favre (American football player) addiction. Well, nighttime after the surgery came, and I was IN PAIN. I took the recommended dose and it did...NOTHING for me. I took another pill...NOTHING. I threw them away and took Ibuprofen. It was a long time ago, but I imagine I probably self-medicated with beer.

My next surgery was fairly major, and it occurred just when opioids were becoming a really scary addictive drug. My surgeon prescribed OxyContin. Again, I was VERY wary about taking it, but they basically made me take a dose before I left the hospital, and sent a month's worth home with me, along with 2 more refill opportunities. Guess what? It did: NOTHING for me. So I didn't take any more.

Strange, I know. Maybe because my mind was so fearful of adapting an addiction? I just thought I'd provide a different perspective. How can alcohol be so gripping and opioids do not a dang thing for me? After the posts I have read here, and the stories I hear day in and day out about the opioid crisis we have in America, I think I'll consider myself VERY fortunate.

Last edited by PamelaJune; 08-23-2017 at 04:49 AM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-24-2017), SecondChances (08-23-2017), WannaGetFeelingBack (08-23-2017)