Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 12:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've had problems with my hands and eyesight for years. I used to try quilting, and I made 3 quilts as well as some smaller quilted things. The quilt I'm still using is the LeMoyne Star pattern, using lots of those 8-pointed stars as in your photo. I got books on quilting from the library and took extensive notes, collected patterns, watched TV shows (I liked Georgia Bonesteel), waded through catalogs.

I can't do quilts any more. I also used to make needlepoint/bargello/counted cross stitch/crewel pillows. I gave pillows as gifts to people so often that they probably got tired of them but it was gratifying to see photos of my sister in her home with one of my pillows in use on her sofa.

Lately I've been doing crocheting. For years I made afghans for people as gifts, and now I'm doing mainly hats, sometimes scarfs, which get donated to a program for the homeless.

This kind of project is nice because I can do them at my own pace--no deadlines to meet--and usually I don't have to pay for the yarn.

One finger won't bend right on my dominant hand, and the others are bent out of shape with arthritis, but I can still crochet. I'm probably slower than most people but so what?

I get patterns from the Internet, and I can find YouTube videos illustrating how to solve problems I'm having. I can usually keep an eye on a DVD movie while crocheting.

I even have a styrofoam head model for shaping the hats. That was something someone else was giving away.

So this is a relaxing way to spend the time while turning out something attractive and useful. I have fun choosing the colors and patterns.

I used to knit but somehow working that much with both hands and arms is much more tiring.

I hope you'll join the trivia game kicker mentioned.

MS diagnosed 1980. Type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, osteopenia.
Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Currently: Glatopa (generic Copaxone), 40mg 3 times/week, 12/16/20 - 3/16/24
agate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (08-26-2017), Starznight (08-28-2017)