View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 06:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm relieved to read you didn't hit the gym. If you don't mind, I would suggest you establish a routine to begin with and you stick to it. So here goes a very basic suggestion. Whatever you do do, please when standing at all times be newr, very near a wall or heavy piece of equipment you can have your hand against for balance or hold onto. Door knobs are no good, they break and you could fall. At the gym there should be a stretch corner with mats.

Sunday - gym - 5-7 minutes stretch exercises, even a basic gym should have a stretch corner with stretch exercise posters stuck up on the wall. It's important you do basic stretches so you don't injure yourself. If no stretch sheet, try these;

*Face front wall, lean against the wall with both hands, shuffle 1 foot backwards until you feel a gentle pull in your lower calf muscled, count to 15. Repeat with the other leg. Do it again, single leg at a time.

*Still holding against the wall try to bring you heel to your buttock, if you can grab your heel and hold it there, count to 12 & release, do the opposite leg, this will give a gentle stretch to your front thigh muscle.

*IF you can't grab your heel to hold it, face forward to the wall with both hands on the wall widen the distance between your legs and using a kick back motion flick your heel to you buttock left leg, right leg, left, right do this maybe 12 times. Gentle is the key word, your aiming to get your heel to you butt, it doesn't matter if you can't do it to begin with, in time you will.

*Lie on the ground on your back, bring your right knee to you chest, leave the left leg out straight, clasp your knee to your chest & count to 12, repeat with the left leg, do this 2 or 3 times.

*Still on your back bring both knees to your chest, clasp them both & hold them, count to 15.

*If you can, rock gently (GENTLY) back n forth 10 - 12 times

Treadmill 10 - 12 minutes (forget how far you walk, focus on the minutes)
You're done, time to go home and rest

Monday rest day from the gym
Tuesday, basic stretch exercises followed by 12 minute treadmill walk
Wednesday rest day from the gym
Thursday, basic stretch and 10 minute treadmill
Friday rest day from the gym
Saturday rest day from the gym, gentle stroll outdoors weather permitting.

Sunday, repeat all over again. Google some stretch exercises to add to your routine.. above is only a general idea based on what I could initially do when I first hit the gym. Gradually over time build up the minutes on the treadmill, add to it the elliptical, but again, gentle and easy and start with 7 minutes if adding to your treadmill 12 minutes. The key message here SC is take it slowly, don't injure yourself by over doing it. There is nothing more disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChances View Post
Ha! No Gerry, you do not know me. I get discouraged very easily. I was walking to my car to go to the gym but my legs felt so very weak. No way! It is a gorgeous day here today and decided this would be a day to just go for a short walk with my cane. I didn't go far, one block.
kiwi33 (08-27-2017), SecondChances (08-26-2017)