Thread: Still Alive
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

So, for me some days I feel much more optimistic than others. This year, I experienced the first days where I could say I almost felt normal. My accident was in March of 2015, so it happened beyond the two year mark, despite my neurologist (and then neuro-psychologist) saying 3 months, no, 6 months, well, maybe a year. Huh. We don't know.

That being said, I also experienced a miserable month and a half in March-April of this year, when I swore my head was worse than it had been at 6 months post-concussion.

I don't think any of us really know how it will work out for us in the end, but I'm not giving up hope that someday all my symptoms will be gone. For now I'm grateful for the days when I can think a bit more clearly, and that my fatigue is finally starting to let up a little bit. The rest may or may not go away given more time.

I also have noted that I get the feeling I'm making progress after I've had a bad bout. Whether it's just wishful thinking, but I have noted that after a bad period (when I overdid things to the point that I went back down the rabbit hole) I seemed to have an easier time doing whatever it was I did that threw me over the edge. Exercise, cognition, talking too long, trying to listen to music)...it's hard work for your brain to re-wire itself, so maybe that explains the highs and lows?

I can also say it's easier now to understand what my therapist was trying to explain at the beginning, about identifying the edge of when you are overdoing it, and backing off before it gets bad. Perhaps I'm just finally at the point where there is a better, to be able to recognize the difference. Before everything was bad, so how could you tell if it got worse?
Karenthek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote