View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Vania,

It appears you have discovered the reality of what I call subtle neck injuries. Those are neck injuries that do not cause pain or specific stiffness but appear to cause other symptoms if properly assessed.

The biggest challenge with these is the recovery. As you noted, treatment creates a short time improvement. We need to find the postural behaviors that allow this improvement to last longer. C-0 to C-1 (occiput to C-1) does not have a self centering facet structure like the lower vertebra. The treatments do not have that 'pop' when they settle into place. As such, they can slip out of place until we have allowed ligament healing/tightening. This takes discipline and time.

It often take 6 weeks or more for ligaments to strengthen. Every time we stress those ligaments, we lengthen that healing time. Good posture, especially during sleep and resting is important. Anti-inflammatory efforts are also helpful. Icing, NSAIDs, and such help.

For me, nothing helped until I developed good sleep posture discipline. My head and neck need to remain straight throughout the night. This often means finding a sleep position and bed that allows you to wake up in the same position. Adjustable beds with proper pillows can help. I bunch up the sides of my pillow so my head does not roll to the side while on my back.

You did not say what treatment your chiro is using. NUCCA.org and atlas orthogonal GlobalAO: About Atlas Orthogonal and similarly trained chiros have helped some.

Relapses that cause other bodily issues can be related to upper neck inflammation such that the brain stem has reduced blood flow disrupting proper autonomic nervous system function. I used to get temperature changes, both up and down but usually I felt cold. My BP and pulse would slow.

It has been known that up to 85% of concussions include an upper neck component and that the symptoms are overlapping. For some, the symptoms may be just the upper neck issue without brain involvement.

I suggest you look at sleep posture issues as a lifetime investment. I resolved my more serious neck related symptoms a decade ago but can easily cause a relapse if I do not maintain sleep posture discipline.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote