Thread: Possible MG
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Possible MG

I am waiting for a diagnosis, but my primary doctor, the ER doctor and the neurologist all suspect MG. I am currently on prednisone but nothing else. My legs become so weak that I now have to use a walker. It stared 8 weeks ago with muscle fatigue. Some days, I just couldn't get through the afternoon. It would be harder to get up the steps, my walking slowed down, my arms would feel heavy. So I went in for a physical and basically everything was fine except the Epstein Barr virus reactivated. I wasn't sick, though. Then I had this bizarre episode after walking all day at the zoo. I felt like it was hard to keep myself steady when standing. Like, one of the kids barely bumped me, and I felt like I would fall over. I wasn't dizzy, just off balance. Then I went to bend down, and my legs just kind of gave out, like jello. Then I knew something was wrong. I told my husband on the drive home, that when we returned I would go to the ER. But after 2 hours in the car, I was better. My legs were tired, but I was steady and my legs worked again. So I decided to just make another appointment. I had more labs (normal except a very low positive ANA) and a brain MRI which was negative. Then about 10 days ago I had trouble walking in the evening. My legs wouldbuckle the more I walked. I also had fatigue in my triceps, shoulders, mouth and tongue. Talking and eating make my mouth tired. So I went to the ER, and I got an intelligent and caring doctor who listened and researched. He suspected MG. He ordered the antibody panel and gave me an injection of Depo Medrol. I got progressively worse over the next two days, to where I couldn't walk at all. We went to a University Medical Center and go no help. It was terrible and so discouraging to be sent home unable to walk. But thankfully the next day, I improved. Most likely a result of the steroid. I saw a neurologist Friday who suspects MG or maybe myositis. He started me on prednisone. I've been okay, having periods of weakness after being up awhile and especially in the evening, but today has been so hard all day. I have four children, thankfully three are old enough to take care of their basic needs, but it's so hard to not be able to care for them and my home. I have had some help so I'm thankful for that. Currently, I am waiting on the acetylcholine receptor antibody test that was drawn in the ER 10 days ago. It was sent to a lab Salt Lake City. Does this test normally take this long? I've been calling the hospital and they're supposed to look into it. I'm just ready for a diagnosis so I can get treated. Does the Mesitonin work pretty well in your experiences? I just want to be able to do my basic daily living activities, not even exercise. Thank you for listening. Today has been especially emotional for me.
Lbee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (08-31-2017)