View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dude, people say you're a Hero because you stepped up and served. I completely understand what you're saying and where you're coming from though. So it's not like I don't get it, but just want to share with you;
My nephew was blown up in a humvee, twice; he was 21 the first time, he hurt his elbow and hit his head badly but didn't want to complain, bit of a stigma going on over there. Blown up again a 2nd time at 23 & hung upside down for a few hrs alongside his best Makka who was killed. He's got brain damage now along with PTSD. Been treated pretty shabbily by the UK military until his Da stepped in & got some people involved. Pension, payout & whatnot sorted now but it took a long time. He'll never work again, tried to, but is triggered by so many things, he like you would say he's not a hero, he also did as you did, didn't care if he died or not. It's a part of the numbing & guilt process he was told. (Survivors guilt) now he's not a hero by any means in this life now, but he was, he stepped up & signed up at 17, he like you has suffered & will continue to suffer for the rest of his life. My dad died 6 years ago due to his WW11 injury, I never thought of him as a hero, just my dad, until the DVA & RSL turned up at his funeral, played the post, folded the flag. Bought it real close to my mind, anyone who steps up and signs up is heroic. My dad saw things so bad he never spoke of them, but we found them written down after he was gone. Life is what it is as we make our way through it, there are many who choose not to sign up to defend ours or other countries, that's their right, and their choice, but those that do, or did. No matter what or how you look at it, their action there & then to sign up is selfless & heroic. It's that which makes you a hero Gunny, you stepped up, you served & you've suffered for your choice. You were selfless at one time in your life & heroic no doubt in many times of your life. You may not feel it now, but you were once. It may not sit easy with you, I get that, but people will always say those who sign up & step up are heroic. It's just the way it is. I'm afraid it's a mantle your stuck with for now. But there will come a time as the world turns and you age, just like my dad did & people will forget. So take it for now, sit easy with it if you can. Sorry long winded but it got me thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Hey there!

Yoooo's guys are WAYYY too kind to me, and I sure do appreciate the words!
However- PLEASE let me correct this one, which comes up often in what people say all over the place, on forums, Facebook, etc, etc etc. NOTHING meant toward any of you personally here, and not "******" I just wish to clarify something.

By no means am I (Gunny) a "Hero" my friends. Nothing I have EVER done would rate me as a "Hero" nor do I accept that term all that well ok my dear buddies?I say this due to some very close friends who were KIA over there in both shitty wars! I believe I told you about my best buddy SgtMaj Robert Cottle? (If you don't recall, or didnt hear it. These links portray some of him, and I attached a few pics of us together too. We met in 1988 while on Embassy Duty in Munich Germany. It was still when the wall was up! (LOL- You'll see a pic of us dressed in Skiing Attire up in Austria looking like 2 teenagers with 80s clothes on!! Hahaha)

http://w

ww.arlingtoncemetery.net/rjcottle.htm

Its guys like that, and others who died "Over There" as we say. Oh trust me, I was reckless at the end of my year there. Id walk out in the open when mortar rounds would be landing, when people would be shooting at us from buildings that were higher, etc. I guess that plays a part of who I am today - almost like I just didnt care if something happened to me-which I still don't. lol.

OK- BTW-- The Application was submitted for this PTSD Program at a VA Hospital up in the Northeast. Don't think I wish to say which one in case someone here lives in the immediate area? Ya know?? LMAO >Id kinda be ashamed getting a visit from a Forum Member who really doesnt even know me. Either way.......I will check back in here to let all know Im heading out (I sure hope I remember to let you guys know!!)

TTYL my friends!!
Stay safe & Stealthy out there!!!

Gunny out..............................

Last edited by PamelaJune; 08-30-2017 at 08:55 PM.
PamelaJune is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (08-30-2017), glenntaj (08-31-2017), PurpleFoot721 (08-31-2017)