View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 03:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi TedW,

Welcome to NT. Sorry to read of the reason you've come here but the fact that you are reaching out for advice is a good sign toward recovery.

I'm not a software developer either - I'd go as far as calling myself technically challenged. I can however relate to the loss of cognitive function - not as a result of accident but chronic illness (7+ years). During the worst moments I describe my brain to doctors as being like a TV where someone else has the remote control and is channel surfing.

Software development is inherently a creative process - as someone who was previously artistic I can relate. As yet I haven't recovered the ability to draw - hopefully one day. As for ideas to help with regaining skills I can only speak of my own experience. Recently I was 'propelled' into volunteering in a campaign for a not-for-profit cause I believe passionately in - saving a community facility that is scheduled for closure. Subsequently I've found myself pushed to using my brain far more than in recent years . . . writing letters, drafting strategies, coordinating plans etc. As a result I'm finding my cognitive function gradually improving.

I've had to accept there are limits to my capabilities and find ways to work around the deficits. For instance; you may find that medications you take can enhance performance during one part of the day and impede it during others. Use this to schedule your work efforts. When your brain says it's down time - listen to it. Sometimes a short nap may be all that's needed, other times doing something completely different like going for a walk, gardening or even housework etc, can refresh the circuits. Try not to do too much at once - I find overload results in confusing brain fog and I have to tell myself Enough! - come back to it tomorrow. Be prepared that you will make mistakes - I've let others who are involved in our campaign know some of my limitations and we share the load. Some of them are working full time and are grateful that someone else is doing the tedious work but they are happy to proof-read my slow and sometimes ponderous efforts.

While this may not help with the issue of the projects you currently have in development maybe you can find someone to work alongside you. If this is not a possibility at present please don't think you are done - you may find you need to do something else as a stepping stone until your brain has recovered sufficiently to co-operate.

My recommendation is don't just do work that keeps you busy but take on something that you're passionate about and that involves a challenge - both of these will stimulate the brain cells.

All the best - let us know how you get on.

Last edited by bluesfan; 08-31-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: clarity
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote