View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default your mileage may vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooJr View Post
ok, I'm am going to buy for my brother who has PD. Can you suggest the dosage he should start on? Any other info on your experience would be appreciated.
Everyone is different, so not really. The first thing you need to make sure of is that he isn't allergic to the bean that mucuna is made from! Read up on that and make sure it is ok for him to take mucuna first.

When we began taking mucuna, we started with 1.5 teaspoons of the powder mixed in half a small dixie cup of water. I think it's like sinemet: if you take too small of a dose, there won't be enough of a therapueutic benefit to help, so it's a waste, but of course you don't want to take too much, either.

We started off with a small amount and saw how that worked and have increased over time as it takes more to get the same benefit now. We're now up to a tablespoon for a dose, which is a lot to gag down. We've never had dyskenisias on mucuna, by the way, which is a huge plus. Maybe we've never taken enough to bring those on, as we're pretty careful, but I thought I would mention that.

The key is to go slowly and carefully note how he feels: he knows his body best and is also best able to tell how a given dose is affecting him. He might want to keep a log so he can easily refer back to what he wrote w/r/t what dose worked, how quickly, for how long, etc., and what dose didn't...and also share with his neuro, because he will need to let his neuro know he is taking mucuna, how much, how often, etc. and get his/her input. Some neuros are more supportive of therapies like this than others, of course.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote