View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

SiltedSalt.

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my comment about nueroprotective effect. Neuroprotection functions both before and after a neural injury. It can reduce the level of damage when the substance is 'on board' before the injury and it can reduce, slow, or otherwise positively affect the cascade of injury after the injury has happened. The study on rats only showed it to have a benefit when on board before the injury.

In the study, they looked at rats who had CBD before the trauma, immediately after the trauma and at later times after the trauma. They did not see benefit from CBD after the injury. But, that does not mean it does not help humans. The researchers readily admit that even though rat's brains have many similarities with human brains, they do not behave the same in every aspect.

You appear to be confusing/combining neuroprotection and neurogenesis and neural repair. You also appear to misunderstand what plasticity is. It is a commonly over-used term. All brains, whether healthy or injured have plasticity.

We often address tinted lenses for those who may benefit. The Gunnar study only included 2 subjects. It is interesting but anecdotal only. Tinted glasses help some but not all. Some use F-Lux or other ways to dim or change color temp on computer screens.

You make many of the same anecdotal claims of the benefit of cannabis as others claim but the studies do not support. Many PCS symptoms simply resolve over time. As the researchers say, correlation does not mean causation.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see evidence of CBD helping with PCS in a consistent way. I can go to my neighborhood health food store and buy CBD oil Over the Counter, with no medical prescription. How they get away with that with Idaho's restrictive laws is beyond me. Only a dozen or so patients have been approved for a study.

For those who have been found to benefit, the therapeutic dose costs about $30 to $40 per day at current market prices if vaped or used sublingually. Smoking requires substantial use throughout the day and edibles would simply make one overweight due to low absorption levels. Smoking it is a hard way to get the benefit.

High CBD, Low THC strains like Harlequin, Charlotte's Web, AC/DC, and such may give a small benefit with a reduced risk of anxiety from THC. Reducing anxiety does help with recovery. It only requires a single puff of a normal THC strain to achieve the anti-anxiety benefit. The recommendations are 10:1 CBD:THC or better. I see a new hybrid, Ringo's Gift is 24:1.

The blood thinning effects can be obtained from aspirin, ibuprofen, and Omega 3 fish oil and others. The anti-inflammatory effects are considered more important. There is a limit to the amount of blood thinning and anti-inflammatory value. More is not better.

You appear to have been given some erroneous information. PCS is usually not a diagnosis until 6 weeks or longer after a concussion since 85% recover within 6 weeks. Before that, it is a normally expected recovery time.

So, how are you doing now ? How long has it been since your concussion ? How were you concussed ?

What do you do besides cannabis ?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hains (09-05-2017)