View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned User

5 yr Member
Banned User

5 yr Member
Default My restless thoughts

Hello all.
I have been experiencing anxiety recently that I need to straighten out with facts.
Here is my background.

When I was being born, the doctor who delivered me with forceps was too rough and caused a perinatal stroke. He went on to kill another child during a similar process and subsequently lose his medical license.
I suffered no long-term issues from this incident and developed normally, as 60% of those who suffer perinatal stroke do.

When I was a child, my mother rear-ended another car in a turn lane while I was sitting in the seat behind her without a seatbelt on. I blinked, and when I opened my eyes I was in her lap in the same turn lane. It could not have been longer than a few moments. I remember scrambling to climb back to my seat so that she could pull off into a parking lot. To this day I am not sure if I was knocked unconscious, or if the incident did in fact happen in the blink of an eye and I didn't hit my head.

Years later I took a soccer ball to the face and experienced vision issues and dizziness for about ten minutes, although there was no headache or amnesia whatsoever. I believe this was likely a concussion.

Finally, when I was about thirteen years old, I was at baseball practice fielding a pop fly in the outfield. I lost it in a powerful field light, and it landed right on my forehead and bounced about 15 feet. I saw some stars, but I ran to the ball and fielded it without missing a beat. No dizziness, no headache, no amnesia, no confusion. Just the visual distortion.

I am currently in college studying science, and recently I have been reading a lot about how detrimental multiple concussions can be. As you might guess, I'm worried about my mind.

I have a couple of questions. First, how likely is it that my baseball incident was indeed a concussion despite only experiencing a brief visual distortion?

Finally, how worried should I be about any brain damage I have incurred over the years? Is it stable? Will it get worse?
Hypo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote