View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi, throstle53. This is a topic that Mrs D has thoroughly investigated, although new information keeps coming in on the topic.

One of the best articles is this first one. A drug that can change a neuron is bioengineering, whether there was intention for that or not.

I would never take a statin (no offense, guys), due to the fact that research on them is not that in-depth. As Dr. Hyman points out, these drugs can damage mitochondria and the effects might not be noticed right away. For those with high cholesterol, there are other alternatives. But they may be forced to live with the effects of statins (there are supposedly less offensive ones).

Learning about good fats, what diet works for you, etc. is the best way to go when someone's cholesterol is slightly elevated. We don't need a drug making our disease worse or causing one!

Gabapentin/Neurontin can also exacerbate or bring on MG (possibly drug-induced MG that stops when the drug is stopped). Ketek is an antibiotic that has similar actions and no MGer should take that one. Quinolones are also now on the "don't take" list, unless absolutely necessary.

I don't think any of us here would be bored to talk about MG! Talk all you want. Rach is also from the UK, as have been others along the way. I hope you have a good neuro. In fact, if you do, would you mind sharing their name in a PM?

I hope you are doing well with MG. Doctors don't know everything, and many don't have time to do any research on new developments. We MGers are more motivated to know everything there is about the disease!

Annie

(Good to see you, Jim!)

Neuron-to-neuron wild-type Tau protein transfer through a trans-synaptic mechanism: relevance to sporadic tauopathies | Acta Neuropathologica Communications | Full Text

Should I Stop My Statins? - Dr. Mark Hyman

Dr. Hyman, MD's take on statins today:

statins

New push for statins
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JimInMI (09-05-2017), pingpongman (09-04-2017), throstle53 (09-07-2017)