View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 07:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, very lucky. They have a computer system that indicates what scripts can be printed for which patient without needing a consult, and the secretary just prints them and goes to the doc to get them signed.

Otherwise, you would have to make an appointment (most of the time that's same day or next day) and pay $20 for a visit (but I get $18 of that back). A house visit (only when you really can't make it there) costs $30.

My wife also has a company insurance for the both of us that pays 80% of the amount we don't get back from our NHS.

We have both been with these docs for 20 years now, so there is also a level of trust. And she's still proud of me for staying sober.

We do pay a lot of taxes and mandatory SS, but nobody here ever goes broke because of health issues. But as I said, every system has it's problems, here it's mostly over-consumption of services and medications. It's almost "too cheap" so people become careless.

One thing that could be improved is further adoption of the "kiwi-model" (heheh), which means that companies do a bid for a certain type of medication, and the government then goes for the cheapest one. This would not affect patients, but could make a big change in their budget. I believe this comes from the way they do or did things in New-Zealand, hence the name. We do it for certain types ("generic products") but not for all.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (09-06-2017)