View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 05:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think you should call the opthamologist.

Tom had strabismus and we patched for over a year and a half. At that point, we were "maintenance patching," meaning we patched one eye for 1/2 hour and the other eye two days later (we did a Mon, Wed, Fri deal). Once he got glasses at 2 1/2, I thought we were all done with it.

About a month after going gluten-free, I noticed Tom's eye going OUT! I called the opthalmologist's office because our original instructions from loooong ago were to call for any changes. She said remove his glasses and wait for his appt in 1 1/2 months. We waited for a bit, but the eye continued to go out, so I began patching. (After not having been patched for a few years, Tom really hated it.) At his appt, the opthalmologist said that growth spurts include the head, which includes the eyes, which changes his vision. Two months later, I took him to his optometrist appt. She said quit patching and gave us a lower lens prescription. A follow-up with the opthalmologist gave us yet another prescription. We go back in a few weeks for another follow-up. (And, I think the eye is starting to go out again. Ugh.)

Anyway, I don't know what the answer is, but we're seeing changes, too. After Tom's next blood draw, we're increasing his vitamins and minerals and I'm wondering what that will do for his vision. (Another set of lenses in two months?)

Oh, and our opthalmologist said she tries to wait as long as possible before doing surgery on neurologically impaired kids. I'm not expecting any surgery for Tom.

Hope this adds to your confusion. What are you doing with Spencer's diet these days?
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote