View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 03:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

All I can say with the doctors is be completely honest with them about what you can and cannot do...don't exaggerate. Just because you don't need a cane 100% of the time...doesn't mean you don't have pain and a disability. I have found that writing out my symptoms and stuff that I want to go over beforehand and bringing the paper with me helps keep me focused during my visits where I have to talk about specific things. Very important if you have a tendency to get stressed or emotional or just forget things. My primary care doctors have usually been pretty good when it came to things like getting a disabled parking tag and stuff. Make sure to make a regular appointment (not walk in) and have everything you need.

On a side note...I think it's great that you HAVE improved enough that you don't need a cane 100% of the time. A positive outlook is not a bad thing. I always try to be optimistic and keep myself motivated to get better...and I think my doctors have seen that and appreciate it. If you don't think you can work a part time sedentary job because of X, Y, and Z...make sure you address those things with your doctor specifically. They don't always understand the totality of our symptoms unless we explain them in detail. It's very easy to focus on just the pain...but things like endurance, stamina, strength, triggers, etc are all important too to understanding how this condition affects us on a daily basis...so make sure you talk about those things with the doctor.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (09-09-2017), PurpleFoot721 (09-09-2017)