View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Inalotofpain,

A few things can be going on. It is best to see a "private" oral surgeon, not a general dentist. The surgeon will handle the situation differently than the general dentist.

1) It needs to be determined if there is a piece of tooth or root tip remaining in the bone. If there is, it could be a source of chronic infection. Depending on where it is located in the bone, it could be embedded near a nerve canal which would cause relentless pain.

2) If the tooth was infected or root canaled prior to the extraction, then there could be a residual bone infection that needs to be addressed by an oral surgeon.

3) If the initial blood clot did not form properly or was disturbed inside the socket after the extraction, you can develop a condition called Alveolar Osteitis or dry socket. This can be a very relentless and painful condition. It needs to treated by an oral surgeon.

4) It is also possible that you have developed a condition called Osteomyelitis which is an inflammation of the bone due to infection. Routine antibiotics usually will not be helpful with this type of infection. Depending on the severity, sometimes a combination of meds or antibiotics via an IV are warranted. The surgical site would need to be biopsied and cultured to determine the bacteria that is present so the proper antibiotic can be prescribed.

If you are rinsing with anything other than salt water, stop. Mouthwash or other chemical rinses cause dryness and irritation to occur resulting in infection and delay in healing.

If you smoke, stop. The toxic chemicals in the tobacco will cause infection and prevent healing.

Eating sugar or drinking sugary drinks will not help with the healing and are best to avoid. Eating a nutritious diet and drinking plenty of water throughout the day are beneficial irrelevant of the problem.

It is best to consult with an oral surgeon and a "private" practicing one as the care is usually more thorough.

I hope you have a resolution soon.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inalotofpain View Post
Hi I'm new here but was wondering if anyone could please help me.
I had a tooth extraction 5 weeks ago and have had no end of pain since. I have had a infection for as long as 5 weeks with having 4 different lots of antibiotics none if which has made a difference. I been back to my dentist who xrayed it to find nothimg left in there i then went to a emergency dentist which done the same but said there was a root left in there to which they tried to get it out but had no luck I then went back to my dentist but seen a colleague as he was off on holiday she also stayed it and said there was nothing left in there. I then paid private had another x-ray and she also said there was nothing left in socket I been back and seen my dentist since and had another course of antibiotics but they still haven't done anything. I'm at a loss end I literally can't cope with the pain anymore no painkillers are even touching the pain. Please please help me desperate

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote