View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaJune View Post
No they haven't even mentioned recovery, how long I will be in hospital, or off of work. The 2 main surgeons Neurosurgeon & General have made it clear the surgery is proceeding because of the hairbreadth distance between the pedicle screw and the spinal cord otherwise they would never contemplate it. There is every possibility they get in and have to back out without achieving the Anterior fusions or removal of the screws. I have had to sign legal waivers to agree to the surgery.

It just amazes me with all our advancement in technology and imaging, they can't see from the outside where the blood vessels are. That's the big problem, the last few stomach surgeries I had, I bled out on the table, it's why I have had over 27 blood transfusions. So the bleeding out is a significant problem and the heart is the other problem, I've had 3 heart arrests in my life time directly attributed to anaesthesia.

Pam,
There seems to be a real problem with the screws when having fusion. A couple of years after my L4-5 fusion, I had a myleogram (sp?) (which some fluid is removed from spinal cord to allow a dye to be used). The orthopedic surgeon, along with other issues said it was imperative I have surgery to remove the screw because the tip of the screw was at the point of a major blood vessel and was endanger of this becoming quite serious.

Very strange about the issues with the screws... Makes one wonder..... I never did anything about it. This was about 8 years when the problem was discovered.

Although in your case, you have additional serious problems including the heart arrests attributed to the anesthesia. The bleeding out is another very serious problem.

Out here; surgery, including my spinal fusion /laminectomy does/did require signing legal waivers which is pretty standard. It appears by your description this is unusual in Australia.

For peace of mind, it's good you talked with SIL K. Jealousy can be wicked.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (09-17-2017)