View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 02:43 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default I think everyone is different

I had some experience with basic programming, and minor IT support around our office (to fill in the gaps for when we couldn't call someone in). No formal training, just things I picked up over the years.

I tried for two years to continue on, recovering some of the things I lost in my accident (basic math among them), but no matter how hard I worked on it the executive function stuff just hasn't made a complete return. Every time I try to troubleshoot something, 20 minutes completely wipes me out, and sends me backwards.

I'm not saying this is the case for everyone. I think it really depends on what got damaged, and where you are in your recovery. I can't say this is forever for me, but I've finally recognized that this is not my "right now", and that trying to push it was only doing me more damage, personally and professionally. I can't tell you how often I've had times of clarity, only to discover that during a fuzzy time when I was pushing myself too hard, I messed something up.

And, I know what you mean about it being very difficult to explain what you do. It might be easier to let your therapists know the impact of using your executive function. For instance, I can clean my house for hours, but can only work for 5 minutes coding before I break into a sweat, and get the shakes. Telling them all the things that challenge you might help them correlate what areas are being tasked?
Karenthek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote