View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 05:12 PM  
Community Welcome Team
kiwi33's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 2,595
My Mood:

Hi Ruban

The way that things work may be different where you live compared to here.

Here the standard way of getting to see a psychiatrist is to ask your GP for a referral. This often involves your GP drawing up what is officially called a Mental Health Care Plan with you. Any adult can do this and it is illegal (because of patient confidentiality) for a GP to tell any family members about this. A GP can also refer you to a psychologist.

Finding a psychologist with whom you have rapport is not always easy (my partner has worked as a psychologist). If you don't feel comfortable with the one who you got through your University you could talk to her directly (in detail) about this. If she is any good she will listen to you and change her approach accordingly.
Knowledge is power.
kiwi33 is offline   Reply With Quote