View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 05:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
Actually for most people dietary cholesterol doesn't have much effect on blood cholesterol.
Interesting. I have never heard this. I remember some press a year or so ago about a low-fat vegan diet lowering cholesterol as well as or better than the statin drugs in many cases. Dr. Dean Ornish did a study on this several years ago. Dr. T. Colin Campbell's book, The China Study, addresses this too - he found that in the rural Chinese counties where his 20-year study took place, people ate very little animal products and on average had 1/2 the cholesterol rates of people in this country... as well as significantly less cancer, autoimmune disease, heart disease, etc. Its a good plug for a vegan diet, but after joining this group (BT pick your # ), I'm thinking his control group probably also ate very little gluten. I'd love to know! That could certainly skew the results. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a debate. I've come to believe that there are "studies" for just about every side of every story, and we all just have to do what we think is best.
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote