View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

That PBA (psuedobulbar affect: Pseudobulbar affect - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic) is a real thing, Kitty. "The primary sign of pseudobulbar affect (PBA) is frequent, involuntary and uncontrollable outbursts of crying or laughing that are exaggerated or not connected to your emotional state. Laughter often turns to tears. Your mood will appear normal between episodes, which can occur at any time. Crying appears to be a more common sign of PBA than laughing."

This is what I experienced early on in my MS journey. Crying for no reason. One day I was on my way to work and got delayed by, of all things, the Santa Claus Parade and burst into tears. It wasn't that I was worried about being late, either. Simply the fact that is was such an inappropriate response.

I was working as a grocery cashier. Before getting on meds I would feel the tears coming and have to close my register to sit out of the public eye for maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Thankfully my bosses were very accommodating. Started with Zoloft, then Elavil, finally staying with Lexapro for over 5 years.

I hope you find something to help, Kitty! Either time, or a med, whatever works.

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

Last edited by Kitty; 12-20-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Sparky10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (09-19-2017), Twinkletoes (12-03-2017)