View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Wink

dupdopa pump results support the theory that even levels of ldopa reduce the risk of dyskinesia, people on the pump actually get more l-dopa 'than orally, but have less dysk - 1 reason they're on the pump and the trend is if one discontinues the pump and goes back to oral l-dopa the benefit of less dysk lasts a few weeks. keep in mind that taking l-dopa probably changes the number/distribution of dopaminne receptors throughout your brain and DNA that controls dopamine production so if your dosing is irregular your're not reaching a smooth equilbrium. this doesn't matter in the early stages since your're able to mfg/store your own dopamine and that evens out the brain concentration. keep in mind your brain needs only a tiny amount of dopamine, people on agonists need less than 20mg of drug and assuming molecular weights are similar that's probably all the dopamine your brain needs.

i started on l-dopa in 2005, now up to 1gram/day and no dyskinesias, i do worry about BP going too low so i have to manage it.. i'm 63 so not holding out hope i'll be young enough for the "cure" but i think there will be a "cure" in the next 5 years so take whatever dose of l-dopa gives you the best results. especially if you believe exercise slows down progression and adding 100mg enables you to exercise "better". i wouldn't worry for a second about varying between 200-300mg/day especially since you are on the neupro. if you get dyskinesias in the future you can manage it. what i would worry about more is what are you going to do if your insurance doesn't pay for the neupro one day or you can't get it, what's the plan? sorry, i'm just a worry wort. there's always DBS which hopefully will improve.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
johnt (10-01-2017), MeAndPD (09-21-2017), moondaughter (09-30-2017)