View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

I don't see any benefit for the brand you are posting about compared to others available for purchase. Their highest oral dose is 500mcg.... which is rather low for an oral form.

Orally 1000mcg is much better. Very little is absorbed orally so a large dose is necessary to deliver a very small amount.

PubMed Central, Table 1: Blood. 28 Sep 15; 112(6): 2214–2221. Prepublished online 28 Jul 7. doi: 1.1182/blood-28-3-4253

The above link is from a paper (the whole paper link is in the first post in the B12 information thread here)
It compares various oral forms of cobalamin treatments showing that only 13micrograms is bioavailable from an oral dose of 1000micrograms (1 milligram).

I bought the Puritan's new 5mg methylcobalamin several years ago to test it. I had a first test several years before to see if I needed it and tested at 875 at that time. I took the methyl 5mg once a day on an empty stomach for 3 months and then got a retest.
It came back as 1998 which was the maximum of that test range at the lab my doctor uses. My doctor was very surprised..she did not know this! So now that I am in my 70's I use the methylb12
once a week or so. Puritan's is not a flashy company so people assume it is so so. I've also purchased methyl 12 from Costco and the tablets seem identical (no imprint and chewable) I don't think there are alot of companies providing these tablets, I think just one or two who provide the generic form for others to buy and distribute.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pinkynose (09-24-2017)