View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Lance_,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

It appears you have never recovered from your first concussion. Just when you were starting to get better, you re-injured.

If you truly want to have a lasting recovery, you need to have a boring freshman year of college. No contact sports, chemical recreation/alcohol, etc., no partying. The no partying is for three reasons. The chemical challenge to your brain is not good. The excessive sensory stimulation is stressful. And, the environment and people put you at risk of another impact.

I bet your slow recovery from January to July is due to a busy senior year in every aspect. College can be like senior year with excitement, activities, change of environment and responsibilities and the like.

You likely also suffered an upper neck injury that the basketball made worse. Subtle upper neck injuries can be a big cause of headaches. The head torquing could have aggravated that. The staircase header is also rough on the neck.

A hard basketball pass to the head is not one of life's little bumps. Those should be easily tolerated. Until you finish your recovery and strengthen your upper neck, you will be more susceptible to relapse.

You have some hard choices to make. Do you risk a miserable freshman year with PCS or do you have a quiet but comfortable freshman year as you let your brain and body heal?

My best to you.

Mark,

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. So even though I felt 100% I really wasn't? Also do you believe there is a happy medium between letting myself recover and living a normal college life? I know these questions are difficult. This is very difficult for me because I want to live a normal life
Lance__ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote