View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Bob, when someone crosses my path, I stop suddenly and it takes a moment to get going again. I think the intruder breaks my rhythm, such as it is.

Rick, I tried an experiment: walking with eyes closed, but doing my side to side thinking in my brain, i.e. as if I were moving side to side instead of straight ahead. And yup, I could walk.

I don't know why the side to side thing works for me. I think the loop controlling movement walking foward is defective.

But the one controlling side to side is not. Just like the loop for walking up stairs is intact. So, I access that side to side loop by thinking about it, and I can move foward with ease.

I'm not consciously thinking about moving foward, but that idea of moving foward may be automatic; it's the loop for the actual gait that is impaired, so I compensate for that by thinking side to side.

I wish others would try it and let me know if it works. When I get off the train, I always have trouble moving, but it gets much easier when I start to think 'side to side'. It's a nutty idea, but it works for me.

Please, try it and see if it works for you!

Michael, I'll explore your site soon!
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote