Thread: Echo Dot
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 01:54 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I bought a little plug that's Alexa enabled. Well, it's supposed to be. Right now I'm using an app on my phone to use it, I just haven't gotten around to teaching Alexa to turn it on and off.

I'm using the plug to turn a lamp on and off upstairs right now. That way I don't have to walk across the room to turn the lamp off, and then stumble around in the dark to get back downstairs to my room. I'm going to try to teach Alexa to use it tomorrow. On the off chance she can't learn to use it, I think I'll still like it because of the app on my phone.

Going to look around and see if I can find other brands of these plugs and see if they'll play well with Siri also.

I now have three Alexa's. I have two Dot's, and one regular sized Alexa. I really like the bigger speaker. I bought one of my Dot's a battery pack, so it's portable. I can take it outside if I want to.

Kind of wish that my free trial of Sirius XM wasn't going to be over this weekend. I'm enjoying listening to that trial on one of my Alexa's at night when I'm trying to sleep. (got the free trial when I got my new car earlier this summer). I'm not willing to pony up the cash to continue the subscription, but it's nice that I can play audiobooks from Audible on it, and then there's always the IHeartRadio skill. Listen to the radio on that.

I had to cancel the security system that my dad had gotten for us last year. Cost too much. But, I have some bluetooth lightbulbs that I was using with the security system. I'm going to buy a hub from Amazon that costs about $50. I'll be able to use those bluetooth lightbulbs with the hub and make Alexa turn lights on and off for me. I'm kind of excited about that, because I have six bulbs, and five lamps. Might buy some extra bulbs and have two of the bulbs in my garage.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Alexa. I play Jeopardy! every night with her, and I probably listen to music a lot more often because it's easier to find stuff to listen to with her. Just tell her what I want to listen to, and she finds it. I like to listen to swing music, and kind of like the swing jazz channel she plays.

Oh, and I use Alexa to tell me when to take my Ampyra. I have to take it every 12hrs, so when I take it, I just tell Alexa to set the timer for me. I usually tell Siri on my phone at the same time, just in case I have to go somewhere. That way I have a backup telling me when to take the Ampyra.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (09-28-2017)