Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Lance,

You said you were finally 'starting' to recover. That was not a 100% point. PCS can appear to be over but put the brain under stress and it comes roaring back. It is very common for someone to 'feel' 100% but not be 100%. Plus, nobody ever recovers 100% from a concussion. The brain remains sensitive to a variety of stressors, as I mentioned above.

The simple fact that it took you 6 months to start to recover from you concussion last January suggests that it was a serious concussion and/or your brain does not recover from concussions easily. That strongly suggests that your new normal is a Post Concussion Syndrome normal.

The most common 'new normal' is a sensitivity to alcohol and other intoxicants. Whereas previously, getting intoxicated would mean a possible hangover then you are fine, now it usually means a new kind of PCS hangover that can last much longer and affect cognitive and memory performance for days after.

I would encourage you to read the Vitamins sticky at the top. Proper brain nutritional support can improve the brain's tolerance for stress.

We have had many here on NT who wanted to maintain a 'normal college experience.' They end up riding a wild and miserable PCS roller coaster. Some finally give in and start living a lower key life and experience an improvement in symptoms.

You run the risk of setting yourself up for prolonged symptoms. The happy medium is something less than a normal college experience.

It helps when using NT to post replies using the Post Reply button at the bottom left. It does not quote the entire previous post. It makes it easier to scroll through a thread.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 09-28-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote