View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
You don't describe the head pain on pillow so there is no way we can comment on that. From what you have said, I don't think your issue is concussion related. I believe it is whiplash related. Do not throw your head back when taking vitamins. Instead, gently tip you head back if you need to.

Does your head really hurt or does your upper neck hurt or do you just get a headache ?

Hands on work does not mean much. There are some who do amazing hands on work and others who cause injury or exacerbate symptoms with their hands on work.

Most athletic therapists receive their concussion training in week end seminars like those required to be certified to administer ImPACT testing.

Without knowing what the hands on therapy was, there is no way to know if it is worthwhile. Many focus on range of motion. That is not always good. Others are just too forceful. It should not be painful unless he/she is doing myofacial release where the pain is momentary as the muscle lets go.

A walk in doc is 99% worthless. Very few have any valid concussion knowledge. Again, weekend seminars. The x-ray or imaging that can be done is not capable of diagnosing the subtle neck injuries common to your situation. When it can, it requires a very skilled image reader. Some times, it requires a full motion x-ray with a very skilled reader. A doc in the box is never going to request such an imaging.

It would be best if you keep all of your posts in the same thread. That way, we can scroll through past posts.
Thank you very much for the reply.

During the day, the pain is mostly in my neck and a little bit in my upper back at times. I don't have pain in my head until I lie down on the pillow at night. When I do, I feel a dull ache directly where my head is making contact with the pillow and not really anywhere else.

I still feel some neck pain/stiffness when lying down but it's the head pain that's disruptive to my sleep. I sleep on my back and have tried to use a thin pillow or a rolled up towel under my neck but when my neck is very stiff and the corresponding head on pillow pain is very strong, I still can't fall asleep.

The athletic therapist that I'm seeing has done some pretty aggressive squeezing under my shoulder blades and around my trapezius. I believe what he is doing is looking for trigger points and doing myofacial release. But I'm not certain. He has also done some gentle moving/rotating the neck while holding my head in his hands and has done some light massage on the base of the neck as well.
jtoronto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote