View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Physical therapy can be good or worthless depending on the skills and therapy done. Traditional PT protocols are range of motion focused and/or strengthening focused and not much help with many subtle neck injuries. As Jo*Mar said, If your PT does not know how to identify trigger points and such, find a different PT.

Just as there are good and worthless PTs, there are also great and useless chiros. It is hard to find the good ones. In my experience, only one in five have been worthwhile. Same as my experience with PTs.

Some DOs, Osteopaths, are good with neck issues. Again, you have to find the good ones.

In my experience, any treatment will show at least a temporary improvement after just a few treatments if not the first. More treatments may be needed for lasting results but the treatments should be spaced apart with self-treatment/postural discipline used to help the treatment last.

Therapists of all types tend to want to keep their calendars full and use up the patient's insurance and financial resources doing so. The "I want to see you twice a week for 5 weeks" at the first appointment is bogus in my experience. Been there. Had to deal with that type of treatment.

The good ones might say, "I want to see you twice this week then next Monday, we will re-evaluate."

I spent $8000 in the first year and a half trying to find worthwhile care. I found a PT who did myofacial release (sort of trigger point therapy) and some other protocols and I started improving.

Upper cervical chiropractic helped and is not like the twist the head and pop the neck form.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote