View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Somethiing that I got to thinking about today and wondered if it fit others.

When I'm off and/or freezing, doing one thing is hard, doing two is impossible. Any form of multi-tasking is out.

That extends out to things like walking and looking around. Turning or changing stride length. Negotiating a crowded or cluttered room. Too much input.

Same thing when I first stand up. Takes a minute to recalibrate. Process all that input.

Now we all know the "tricks". Imagine a line and step over. Laser pointer on the floor. Holding a walking stick out ahead and following its tip.

These techniques have a common element of requiring that I focus on something - the laser dot for example. That in turn quietens the confusion in my head. Looking at my toes does a similar thing.

I imagine a chaotic state in my brainwaves. Focus quitens it. DBS does too. So does a metronome or music with a steady beat.

Anybody?
Rick, I believe you have vertigo. When you can't walk and look around at the same time without your losing your balance that is called "paroxistic lateral vertigo", or so my neuro told me. There's not much you can do about it, just avoid walking along bumpy country lanes at dusk , bad lighting conditions make it worse.
Teretxu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote