View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

alreadybutnotyet,

Welcome to the forum.

How long is it since you were diagnosed? And, how long is it since you've been having problems with your drug regimen?

In the ideal world you should discuss drug regimen issues with your doctor. But, in case he/she is unavailable to give timely advice, I raise the following points. But, please note that I am not a doctor.

200mg levodopa every 4 hours is not the same as 100mg every 2 hours. If you run the app, you will see in the output graph that the smaller, more frequent dose gives two lower peaks and its combined effect lasts longer.

As the disease progresses the gap between the "on"/"off" threshold and the dyskinesia threshold becomes smaller. Therefore, it becomes harder to go above the first threshold, while staying below the second threshold.

It would help if you kept a diary showing the times of your "on"/"off" transitions and your dyskinesia transition. It may be possible to relate those results back to your doses and also your diet.

You may be at a stage where you have to choose between being "off" and being dyskinetic.

How bad are your "offs"? For me, 12 years post diagnosis, they are not severe: my typing is much slower, but I can still walk well.

How bad is your dyskinesia? For me, I have none.

You imply in your post that you have compliance issues. Would these be worse if you had irregular doses both in size and time?

Do you have any other symptoms, such as dystonia, hypotension, falls. For me, I'm beginning to pick up troublesome leg cramps.

The process to follow is then one of two dimensional titration (both dose size and dose timing).

I would start by changing a single dose of just one of the IR tablets.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
alreadybutnotyet (10-09-2017)