View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

A key issue in each of these studies is the timing of the ketosis. The rats are put into ketosis within hours of the injury. The benefits seen appear to be a result of stopping the cascade of concussion symptoms.

The need for early intervention has been known for at least a decade. The problem is determining which concussion needs the early intervention. Some studies suggest only 1 out of 8 needs early intervention but all 8 would need to be treated with this early intervention to benefit the 1 that needs it.

It would be great to see these rats studies delay ketogenic diets for a few weeks. Allow the cascade to start then see if the cascade can be stopped or reversed.

Hains, Big Pharma could support these studies and sell proprietary forms of exogenous ketones for early intervention. Imagine the market for $500 to $1000 worth of exogenous ketones for every diagnosed concussion.

Now, imagine the health insurance companies saying No, not everybody with a concussion needs this treatment. We will only approve it for the 1 in 8 who do.

I say, Go ahead and promote the ketogenic diet. Just be honest and read the studies and find the specifics of each study. It is easy to control the diet of lab rats who have no ability to eat anything but what is put in their cage. Some are even gastrically fed. To me, is sounds like they would not voluntarily eat the exogenous ketone foods. Would you consume 600 to 1000 grams of exogenous ketones each day? That is 0.5% to 1% of your body weight each day.

Read the studies and find the specifics. It is usually a tough read but with effort, one can find the specifics.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AeroDan (07-19-2018), kiwi33 (10-11-2017)