View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliebird View Post
Do you get fatigued or tired easily?? I know how brutal that can be on interns that don't have a disability, but I just wonder what your thoughts on that is?? Good Luck in your decision, but I say...GO FOR IT!!!
Robin, The answer to this is a big, fat, unequivical yes. That is the only reason I'm holding back. I know I can work around it with caffiene, and Provigil, but I'm also worried about the toll the training would take on my body-- moreso than the toll that actual practice would take on it. I'm also seriously considering PA school as an alternative. It's still taxing, but with no residency to wear you down. That's a huge plus!

Swift, you bring up excellent points, all of which I've thought hard about. Hence, why I wouldn't even consider a rotation in cardiac surgery, etc. In the US, there is a tiny little blurb on most med school's websites stating that you must be able to perform certain physical tasks, but exceptions are always made. A guy I went through undergrad with just successfully completed med school, and he has quad CP. And a friend with C 7-8 SCI just did as well. My SCI friend is now an anesthesiologist. I have no idea how he manages to give epidurals, etc. But he does, or he's found a way around it.....

Thank you all for your input. If I decide to do this I have a lot of prereqs that I need to retake, so it will be a few years if, indeed, it actually happens.
NJenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote