View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I'll try to put my exercise level at around the level that you describe, as of now I can feel a little too much in my head for comfort after a workout, even if it's only caused by anxiety.

I really recognize what you say about the way sensory overload is percieved - I experience the very same sensation of suddently noticing ambient sounds when I've been in the environment for a while and the very same sensation of slight confusion if I stay in the same room even after struggling a bit with focusing on the conversation. It's most noticeable when I notice that I have to struggle a little bit to find the words that I want to say.

I understand what you are saying about current college culture, I feel like there's a lot of different subgroups with different cultures about partying and hanging out. I'm part of one of those which doesn't party even every other week, but I've been very involved in club culture due to my interest in music and DJ:ing. What I feel like I'm missing is the contrast between doing something active in the weekend which isn't just a soothing interest (like watching a movie, reading a book or listening to music). I do a lot of reading and hanging out at my room in the week during which I do course reading, so the thing that I miss most about going out with a couple of friends is letting go of cultivating another culminative, calm interest and changing environment.

The course work during the week is pretty challenging but I've structured it so that I can relax when I get home from the library and right now relaxing in my room isn't that different to reading course litterature. I suppose I could try to change that somehow.

Tonight there is a dinner (and later on a party) for my dorm, I'm going to try to join in on the dinner and see how I do. If I get by okay tonight I know that I'm going to be able to hang out with friends in more calm environments in the future.

Slowly returning to the life I had before.
smutsik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote