View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

"I've been very involved in club culture due to my interest in music and DJ'ing."

This presents the same challenge as athletics is for injured athletes. One needs to find the medium between staying connected to athletics or club culture and not delaying or exacerbating symptoms.

"I experience the very same sensation of suddently noticing ambient sounds when I've been in the environment for a while and the very same sensation of slight confusion if I stay in the same room even after struggling a bit with focusing on the conversation."

This is when you need to find your tolerance levels. The sudden noticing of ambient sounds is the brain kicking into the first stage of fight, flight, or freeze. Pushing to far into this can manifest into increasing struggles.

For me, I had to be concerned with three issues.
1. Could I endure the stimulation without a mental meltdown?
2. Would pushing to hard cause me to have a need for an extended recovery period?
3. Would an extended recovery period interfere with other responsibilities.

I finally decided that some environments were not worth the cost to the rest of my day. I could use ear plugs and endure a church service but be wasted for the day. I even tried avoiding the loud music portion of the service and just listen to the sermon. The echos in the auditorium required so much focus to overcome that I would still be wasted. I would need to close my eyes to focus on the sermon.

If you are in a situation where you are struggling to focus on a conversation but closing your eyes helps you focus, that suggests you are pushing your brain's limits of processing auditory and visual stimuli.

The brain has an ability to share processing resources. As an simple inexact example, let's say you have 50 points of auditory processing power and 50 points of visual processing power. A non-PCS brain may have 100 points of each. If the PCS brain tries to focus on auditory processing, those 50 points may not be enough. If the visual processing is using all 50 points, the brain is maxed. But, the brain can switch processing power.

One can close their eyes and the brain can use visual processing power to enhance auditory processing. The blind use unused visual processing in their tactile and auditory processing. One can quickly learn to abandon visual processing and put that power to the auditory system. It is like learning to relax. It takes a bit of time to learn to do it. The same thing can help cognitive issues like trying to do complex thought. Reducing auditory stimuli can enhance visual or cognitive processing.

You need to experiment to see what stimuli get in the way of needed processing tasks.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
davOD (10-13-2017)