View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 10:19 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alreadybutnotyet View Post
Hello,

I'm currently taking 1 mg tablet of Azilect every morning when I wake up. I'd like to get off of it. Is there a particular weaning schedule that is safe? Has anyone weaned off successfully?
When I stopped taking it, I simply stopped. No weaning needed (unlike, for example, pramipexole).

My understanding of the reason is this: Azilect is an irreversible MAO-B inhibitor. As such, it permanently disables MAO-B by binding to it, preventing it from binding to dopamine. When one stops taking Azilect, it takes many days for the body to replenish the bound MAO-B with newly formed unbound MAO-B (I seem to remember the replenishment rate being about 10% per day, so even after 1 week, about 30% of one's bound MAO-B would remain.

In other words, after quitting Azilect cold turkey, it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the body to replace the drug-affected MAO-B with fresh, unaffected MAO-B. That's long enough for all the body's chemical systems to adjust, hence no weaning needed.

Note: This analysis is for those taking Azilect for its dopaminergic effect, which is supposedly why most of us are prescribed it. But in reality, a lot of us are taking it for its purported neuroprotective effects (i.e.: the possibility that it slows the progression of the disease). The neuroprotective effect is controversial, and may not even be happening. But if it is happening, it is happening by a completely different mechanism of action than the dopaminergic mechanism of action. The neuroprotective mechanism of action is unknown - we simply don't know how or why it works. Therefore, it may be that the neuroprotective effect tapers off at a completely different rate than the dopaminergic effect.

Still, when I quit it, I quit it cold turkey, and didn't suffer any ill effects.

Note: Anyone who follows medical advice from a forum like this is a fool. Use the forum as input to help you formulate questions for your doctor. I'm not a doctor, so this post from me is merely input to help you come up with questions for your own doctor.

Dan
dan1000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (10-16-2017)